Search This Blog

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Five Books Due in 2018

Often the books I get from NetGalley are 6 months or more in advance of publication; this can be frustrating because I don't want to publish reviews that far in advance, but I can't hold off reading the books.

Here are some brief descriptions of books I read in July and August that won't be published until 2018.  Reviews will follow closer to publication dates.




*The Night Market by Jonathan Moore (Jan.)   "..a near-future thriller that makes your most paranoid fantasies seem like child’s play."
Intense and uncomfortable speculative fiction. Engrossing, disquieting, conspiracy, manipulation, ambiguous conclusion.  I haven't read The Poison Artist by Moore, but now I want to--I think.  Maybe because I am now so distrustful of any rich and/or powerful institution (business, industry, church, state) right now, The Night Market had a chilling effect.

A Cold Day in Hell by Lissa Marie Redmond (Feb.)  (Cold Case Investigation #1) The major story line involves a current case in which detective Lauren Riley agrees to help a defense lawyer whose godson is on trial for murder.  OK, but not a series I will pursue.


The English Wife by Lauren Willig (Jan.)  Kind of spooky Gothic Lite.  If you are looking for Wilkie Collins or Du Maurier, this isn't going to satisfy, but The English Wife can provide an entertaining few hours and will be appreciated by fans of the author.

*The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor (Jan.) Had my complete attention from beginning to end!  Suspenseful, twisty psychological--an impressive first novel.  


**The Broken Girls by Simone St. James (Mar.)   Yes! A great ghost story!  I love a good ghost story, but I'm fussy and critical--and frequently disappointed when most ghost stories turn out to be less than I hoped for.  The Broken Girls was more than I expected or hoped for. Two time frames, a boarding school, a murder mystery, and plenty of suspense.  

I'm surprised the publication wasn't scheduled for October or November--prime reading time for eerie, mysterious, and supernatural stories.  Of course, I thoroughly enjoyed it in the heat of summer, but still...it would have been the perfect book for an autumn evening with a fire in the fireplace and a cold wind moaning outside.


9 comments:

  1. I want to read The Night Market! I like Jonathan Moore's books so that book is definitely on my list. Now I'll have to add The Broken Girls onto my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to look into Moore's other books since finding out that this was part of a loose trilogy!

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to reading The Broken Girls. And Willig's book sounds like something I would like. I read another of her books a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing, Jenclair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Broken Girls was an interesting combination of elements that I enjoy! Hope you will like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous that you've already gotten to read The Broken Girls. It should have come out last spring, but got delayed and I've been waiting for it impatiently ever since. Simone St. James is one of my favorite authors. And I really want to read this book! I'm very glad to hear that it didn't disappoint, though. I might have to go on Amazon and pre-order my copy tonight. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything else by St. James, but she is definitely on my list now! Although I'm drawn to books about hauntings and ghost stories, it is rare that they are truly compelling...and The Broken Girls was definitely compelling!

      Delete
  5. Went and pre-ordered The Night Market and The Broken Girls, both sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them! The Night Market is creepy and The Broken Girls is definitely spooky. :)

      Delete
  6. You are right, it is hard when requesting books from NetGalley to hold off on reviews. Granted, I'm always behind so what am I doing complaint? haha... These all sound so good that I'll be sure to keep them on my list.

    ReplyDelete